Monday, July 26, 2010

How to change your name


If it wasn't already obvious, my husband and I just got married. I've just begun the arduous process with the Social Security Administration of changing my last name.

Wow, what a process.

Not only do I need to provide detailed information (i.e. my sho
e size, the name of each of my parent's childhood pets, how many servings of fruits and vegetables I consume daily), but I also need to bring a small file cabinet of documents.

I don't yet have a Massachusetts driver's license, because a) we just got our first car and hadn't needed a local one before this, and b) I only wanted to get one fresh document with my new name.

Anyway, today's attempt was foiled by my absent passport, though rumor through the grape vine is that I need my current MA license with my new name in order for the SSA to officially change my name. Let's just hope that one is simply misinformed but well-intentioned advice!

On the very positive plus side though, my new last name will very shortly be an anagram of my first name.


No comments: