Sunday, February 8, 2009

8 weeks until Paris Marathon!


I did my second 20-mile run this morning.  I can't say it was easy or didn't hurt.  The emphasis for my long runs has basically been to finish stronger and faster than I started, and I've consistently been running negative splits (meaning that if I ran 4 loops, each one was faster than the previous.)  

The benefit to doing this is that it teaches me to run strong when I am tired.  Today I tried to imagine what it will feel like in the race, where I will most certainly be tired and hurting much worse.  I imagined what it feels like to run totally fresh, and thought about "fresh" posture and stride, and tried to make my body move the way it moves in the first few miles when I step outside my door.  I also reminded myself to acknowledge the pain, but keep on running, because it is supposed to hurt- that means I'm doing it right!  Also, it doesn't hurt any worse to run faster (or at least to maintain my pace) when I'm tired as to slow my pace into a shuffle, but I'll finish the run sooner.  

Pacing is definitely an art form.  One of the reasons I am able to finish so strong is that I probably start out a little too relaxed.  In the marathon, my biggest challenge will be finding the right pace.  Though they place you automatically with a pace group, they are only in 15 minute increments, so I am with the 3:30 group, which is faster than I want to start the race. However, I have the benefit of my Philly 1/2 marathon experience where I was forced to rely on my own internal pace and ended up with the best race of my life.  During Paris, I'll be able to "check in" every 5K to the time clock.  There will be no way for me to gage my miles, but I know that my 5K splits should be right around 25 minutes each. 

The run today was inspiring for another reason too... the gorgeous weather.  I left my jacket, gloves, headband, and tights at home and ran with my sleeves pushed up my arms, wishing I'd worn shorts and a t-shirt, not capris.  I saw more people running in Central Park yesterday and today than I see in 2 weeks of cold weather.  It is hard not to lift your knees a little higher and drop your shoulders a little lower when you run past collegiate cross country runners (as in, cross paths with, or are passed by, but never pass), who glide by in an effortless pack of perfect running form.  I saw dads huffing behind baby joggers, and men double-take when a very fit new mother pushed a double-jogger past them up a hill as if it weighed nothing.  A few brave runners who attempted the dirt paths were easily identifiable by marked legs completely tattooed with splashed mud. 

1 comment:

HornHarmony said...

Fun-ny! :) You make me laugh and it is SO inspiring to read what you write! :) I prefer to say it in photos!
Have a great week!