Sunday, January 16, 2011

One Reason I like Boston better than New York-Winter Preparedness

Since I moved to Boston from New York last March, I am most excited about a few subtle changes that have made my life so much more bearable here, especially in the winter. Namely, practical shoes and weather-appropriate attire.

In New York, one of my New Year's Resolutions was to not walk to work in high heels. Yes, I was lucky enough to live within a 12 minute walk of my office building (quicker if I timed the walk-signs perfectly). And yes, I would walk to work and back in high heels, thus necessitating a Resolution to wear flats to work.

So, I compromised with flat dress shoes. Not tennis shoes or practical walking shoes, but high-heels without the heels. I'd jump over puddles and walk on snow, and my little feetsies would absolutely freeze in the winter because I couldn't wear more than nylon stocking socks.

Now, I commute to work by train, with a 10-12 minute walk on either side. And I wear warm, practical shoes. Sometimes even sneakers. When there is snow, I break out my Sorel boots. Did I even own boots in New York? Only black leather zip up boots with a 3" heel. This is exactly my point- in Boston, people wear practical shoes and boots in the winter. In New York, the selection of winter boots for sale are practically all a) leather b) uninsulated (but sleek) and c) with pointed toes and high heels. My heels (the bones, not the shoes), arches, and cold feet are forever thanking me now that I'm a proud Boston resident.

Also in New York, I had a stylish black dress coat. Sleek, fitted. And thin. Obviously, too tight to throw a few wool sweaters and fleeces under that baby either. Not so good for a Northeast winter, but very elegant. Just like all the other New York women wore too. I had a winter jacket with a hood, but a hat would have messed up my hair too much. Ear muffs- perfectly acceptable. But a big ole' furry wool hat that actually keeps your head warm? No New York Lady would dare look that silly.

Since I moved to Boston, my hair has remained in a pony-tail since the weather dipped below freezing. The other day I wore TWO hats out in public. I now own (and wear) long underwear, and hardly remove my company-issued LL Bean fleece jacket. Sometimes I think I should just wear my jammies underneath my fleece jacket, which has now become my new Boston-winter uniform. I wear wool socks to work, and every winter morning, I bundle up into an unrecognizable snow-woman before my trek into the cold. I am far from sleek, and nothing close to stylish. Buy for the most part, I manage to stay toasty enough in all of my bulky layers.

Not to say I'm loving Boston winters, but after spending 5 winters in New York, I realized that I unnecessarily suffered through cold, slush, city blocks, and other hazards to my overall comfort and warmth. And why? All in the name of being a fashionable New Yorker. Now, I've happily traded my pointed-toe "walking" dress shoes and thin coats for some honking clunky shoes and poofy jackets. Score two points, Boston.

2 comments:

HornHarmony said...

I liked this! You did leave out asking for your North Face black marshmallow coat back. Don't think I won't forget the oversight. ;)

Amy said...

I did, sort of. I referred to dressing like a snowwoman in a black poofy jacket. However, if I'm writing about why I like Boston winters better (err, sort of), I should have specifically mentioned that my sister is the key enabler for my warmth this winter by re-giving-back the down jacket I gave her... I hope YOU are still keeping warm now!