Tuesday, January 18, 2011

This is Why You Need a Marshmallow Puffy Jacket and Sorel Boots in Boston



Last week Boston got pounded by Blizzard #2 of the season. Unlike Blizzard #1 where I got my first grown-up snow day, this time I was considered "important enough" and had to come into the office. Here is the view of the Arborretum from our front porch.



To get to work, I walk up and down a gigantic hill to the train station. Most of the sidewalks were not yet shoveled. Trees were dropping branches right and left. I got pelted in the eye with a chunk of snow and was momentarily blinded (imagine that- everything went white) and then spent the rest of the morning with mascara smeared all over my face.

This is why puffy jackets and good boots are so essential for Boston winters. I found my boots, brand new Sorels, at a thrift store for $20. And my down puffer North Face jacket? Originally I bought it in college (I went to school in Western Mass). When I moved to New York, I gave the jacket to my big sister in Colorado, because no New Yorker wears a jacket that makes them look like the Michelin Man, no matter how cold it is. And then I moved to Boston, and my very dear sister re-gifted the jacket back to me. Best gift ever, too.



After the blizzard, despite the snow and all the related hazzards while walking to work, the next day was absolutely beautiful.

No comments: