Sunday, March 15, 2009

3 weeks to Paris!


I just came back from my last long run... 22 miles!  Must have been because I forgot to turn on my alarm clock this morning and got a little bit of a late start that I was inspired to run fast...  
Today I ran about 5 minutes faster than my 22-miler two weeks ago. 

 As usual, I finished at a much faster pace than I started... but I'm making progress in narrowing the gap and running more "steady."  My first 6 miles was at an 8:56 pace, and the last 5 at 8:24 (0r 8:30 pace for the last 10 miles).  Basically, that is only ~32 seconds in variation of my pace.  
When I got back from my run, I had all these great ideas to apply some CFA quantitative methods concepts to training:  My average pace was 8:41, or about 26 seconds/mile slower than my goal marathon race-pace (around 8:15/mile).  

Next, I thought, how about calculating the standard deviation of pace (between each loop and the total average pace)?  I was halfway through calculating the sum of squared deviations from the mean, when I got distracted by major "salt face" in my eyes and stopped to go take a shower.  

"Salt face", by the way, is the remaining white salt crystals that linger on your skin after the sweat dries a little.  I tend to get major accumulation on my cheeks (under my sunglasses), and on my shoulders.  But then again, salt on your shoulders isn't really called "salt face," but who is getting technical?

More to come later... but what a run today.  :)

1 comment:

MelMaGray said...

yeah, who IS getting technical? lol