Tuesday, March 3, 2009

And they say running is a metaphor...


Its these guys again.  Time send them to their next life.  They were OK.  Laces didn't seem to stay tied very well.  And they began to tear around the tops.  But I had some good memories, some great runs, and put in my fair share of miles wearing them.  

The last run tonight was good... at least now I'm ready to retire them.  I ran with my friend Kristin, who I often run with on Tuesday nights at Niketown, when I get to hear about her life and she hears all about mine.  

So when life throws in little plot twists, like a relationship ending, this is exactly why we need both girlfriends and running buddies.  When we're lucky enough that they are one in the same person, this is why running is cheap therapy.

It is ironically appropriate that I retire my shoes just as my relationship with Serge ends.  Technically I should have stopped running in them after my run Sunday morning, but I wasn't quite ready to put them to rest yet.  Actually, maybe I should have replaced them 50 miles ago, when I noticed them tearing in places they shouldn't, and I noticed my knees starting to hurt a little.  If relationships are measured in running shoes, Serge and I lasted through multiple pairs.

Maybe it is not a perfect metaphor though...running shoes are pretty easy to just replace-tomorrow I will run in a new pair and think nothing of it.  The timeline for moving on from a relationship isn't so simple.  Especially when you weren't quite ready for it to end, even if maybe part of you knows it was time.

But, like running, every time I stop running in one pair of shoes, I always know that there will be another pair.  And, as one very wise running mentor once reminded me, just keep moving forward, one foot in front of the other.  Constant Forward Motion. 

No comments: