Friday, October 7, 2011

Almost half-way there! 19 weeks & 5 days

Hello all,

This has been an incredibly exciting week for the May family..

Last Thursday Osei and I had our prenatal with our awesome midwives. Baby and mamma are both looking healthy and good. We listened to the heartbeat with the fetoscope (which is a special kind of stethoscope with a flat plate you rest your forehead on in order to hear a baby's heartbeat, which is really quiet). The midwife was able to find it (144 beats per minute), which was surprising to me, because 19.5 weeks is on the early side for the HB to be strong enough to hear with a fetoscope. She said she'd never heard it that early before! Must be all the running! We are thankful for a strong heartbeat. The really exciting part was that even Osei was able to find it and listen. As a midwife-in-training, I know that is not an easy skill- it is hard to know what to listen for, and it is so soft! I'm very impressed with Osei's talent!

Also this week, we had some family in from out of town, and celebrated with henna tattoos! (See second picture)

This morning we celebrated the almost-halfway-point in our pregnancy with a half-marathon, called Boston's Run to Remember. Osei raced, and I took it easy. I drank lots of water, ate food during the race, and started out in the back of the pack. I felt really great the whole way, and about halfway through began feeling really great, and began passing people. Osei doubled back after the finish line and met me at mile 12 to run the last mile with me, which was wonderful to share. I got choked up when I saw him, thinking about how our whole family was running this race... Anyway, my time was 2 hours and 17 minutes (vs. my personal non-pregnant best of 1:37)! I didn't see any other pregnant ladies pass me, so it is possible that I was the fastest one at the race!

The rest of the weekend shall be devoted to relaxing, drinking water, and enjoying good food and sunshine. We had our first cook-out Friday night, and it feels like summer is finally here! I am thinking of everyone running the Bolder Boulder tomorrow! Happy memorial day to all!

Love,

Amy & Osei

No comments: