Saturday, January 10, 2009

Chocolate milk... better than gatorade



During my last marathon training cycle, with 1-2 miles left in every long run, I found myself fantasizing about a tall glass of chocolate milk.  Unfortunately, I seemed to have neither milk nor chocolate on hand during those summer training months.

But this time around, I'm all set.  Heading out the door now for my Parisian-bound 15 mile run, with all the supplies I need when I get back for my lait au chocolate.

Even Runners World cites a study that found chocolate milk to be as effective as Gatorade as a recovery drink.  The official reason is that combining proteins with carbs increases glycogen stores in muscles and reduces the amount of muscle damage from exercise.

Funny, and to think I crave it because it tastes good.  

No comments: