Thursday, January 8, 2009

Like sand through the hour glass...


This June I'll be taking level I of the CFA exam, which stands for Chartered Financial Analyst.  The CFA institute recommends a minimum of 250 study hours, which I meticulously log in hour and 1/2 hour increments on an ever-increasing list of pages taped to the inside of my study folder.  

I thought what could be more fun than logging hours and hours studying for part 1 of a 3-level exam, sacrificing the absolute non-essential remnants of any social life, also when you're a 20-something living in New York City?

The answer, my friends, is your very own hourglass to track all those hours.  Somehow cramming your brain full of portfolio optimization techniques, thoughts of diminishing marginal utility or the causes of a mispricing anomaly all become so much better when you can take a break just as soon as the green sand flows through.  

The small guy, 15 minutes, lives on my piano.  

To all, I highly recommend an hourglass (you can get them at CB2).  They'll make your studying life complete.  And if you're not studying for anything, you can act out scenes from the Wizard of Oz. (Ha ha ha, my pretty!).  

No comments: