Saturday, January 10, 2009

Ice Skating at the Pond at Bryant Park

I was supposed to go ice skating this afternoon at the Pond at Bryant Park for an event hosted by the Smith College Club of New York City.

In theory, that sounds great.  In reality, observe the following points:

1) It is currently about 20 degrees and snowing outside.  I just spent the last 2.5 hours outside running, and I couldn't run fast enough to not be freezing the entire time.  Voluntarily skating around in slow circles, outside, sounds like pure torture.  I don't think I own enough clothes to dress warmly enough for that to sound fun (though that would soften the blow should I fall).  A slightly more appealing idea would be to paper cut my eyeballs and then squirt them with grapefruit juice.

2) I've already paid whether I attend or don't attend.  In the world of finance, people buy and sell "options."  Basically, a buyer enters a contract by paying a small premium that gives them the right, but not the obligation to either buy or sell the asset at a future date.  In this case, I am "long a call option" on ice-skating.   And, based on current conditions, this option would be considered "out-of-the-money."  That means my only investment loss is the premium I already paid- buying in advance gave me the right (but not the obligation) to go ice-skating, and now, by letting the option expire worthless, I get to keep all 20 fingers and toes frostbite-free.  The seller of the option, Smith Club, has earned a profit equal to the $10 ticket price premium I paid.  However, instead I choose to call it a donation.

3) According to the Bryant Park website, skating rink admission is free.  I paid for both admission and skate rental.  Hence why I call the whole thing a donation, and instead happily sip hot chocolate this afternoon in my cozy apartment.

No comments: